Friday, May 9, 2008

The stuff ulcers are made of...

I've cried a lot more this school year than I have any other year. That sounds a little weird, but its been a rough year. Knowing that you are notable to help your students causes undue stress, which can cause ulcers. Hence, the physical pain I'm in often. This was my day yesterday...

I have a student in my class who came in crying like crazy. His brother (who was in my class last year) got his arm caught on a wire at the top of a fence and ripped his arm open. No blood, but the muscle wasn't attached anymore. This kid is normally chatty, unbelievably chatty, but he didn't even cry. I think he was in too much shock. He ended up getting rushed to the hospital. It took 35 stitches to reattach everything. He's doing ok, but his siblings (there are 5 at the school) were so scared. I feel terrible when I can't fix things for them.

I also get ulcers because of dumb parents. I've had a girl in my class complaining of a toothache for the last 2 weeks. It got to the point where she cried and couldn't do her work. She could only focus on the pain. I called her mother at work to let her know of the problem and if she could bring her something for the pain. Her mother sounded so put out, but guessed she could send step-dad over on his lunch brea
k.

Starting Friday of last week, this same girl has been coming to school with a swollen
face. Now, I know the picture is not my 10-year-old student, but I wanted to show an example of what her face looked like. Please tell me, if your child's face was this swollen, would you take her to the doctor or dentist? Not this mom. This girl game for another week. I told my student she needed to go to the doctor. She told me, "What's the doctor gonna do anyway? Besides, it's too expensive." That's not 4th grade talk. That's parent talk.

Finally, I peeked in her mouth
. She had a huge bubble in her mouth connecting her gums and cheek! I talked to the school counselor, who called the school nurse. She checked my student out and called her mom right away. The nurse told her she had to go home and could not come back until she had a doctor's note. The nurse told me that is as an abcessed tooth and if it wasn't taken care of soon, it could effect her ear canal, her brain, or even her heart!

Her mom came and picked her up without saying a word. No "I'm sorry honey" or "Hello" or "We're gonna get you taken care of." Nothing. She signed her out, turned and walked away with her daughter trailing behind her. Did I mention She's pregnant again? She doesn't want to take care of the children she has, but wants another one?

I expected her to be out for the weekend. I mean,
it took her mom two weeks to even be somewhat concerned. I was worried about this girl. If she wasn't back by Wednesday, I was going to call DCFS and report neglect. My student showed up today, on time with a doctor's note. Mom couldn't keep her at home. This is what was wrong with her tooth.

I know that parents get busy and some have to absolutely work to survive. But this is mom who gave her daughter coffee to stay awake at school because she let's her go to bed whenever she wants to. This is mom, who during conference told me she didn't have time to deal with her daughter's strange antics because she works all day.

Promise me, all that have children or are thinking about having children, that you will show concern for your children. If your child's teacher brings something to your attention that s/he is concerned about, do something about it! We as teachers can only do so much for your kids. Love them, please!

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

That is one of the saddest things ever. I agree that if you make the decision to have children you need to take care of them! It sounds like teaching is rough, its because you care about them so much! What a great loving teacher you are!

Jennie said...

How sad! That's a terrible story. :( I hate hearing about moms like that. Sometimes I feel like I'm a bad mom because I get tired of James fussing, but when I hear stories like that it just makes me so mad!

I bet you're all the kids' favorite teacher! :)

Miranda Budge said...

Mandy you are an amazing teacher and that mom is horrible! I am soooo glad that she is not my mother! Ü

Jenn said...

AMEN MANDY!!! I have several parents that fall into this same category. I have one little girl who comes in late every morning. This same girl's mom make up every excuse in the book not to come to conferences or make even a quick appearance in my classroom. Keep in mind... these are 6-7 year olds.

I also have parents who refuse to send their kid to school with jackets in the spring. This is Oregon... we get rain regularly through early July.. come on guys!

I totally agree with you... parents need to be parents, and not expect us to take on that role as well as our other hats!