- Albuquerque hosts the world’s largest hot air balloon festival the first weekend in October.
- Las Cruces makes the world's largest enchilada the first weekend in October at the "Whole Enchilada Fiesta."
- In Carrizozo, it is forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public.
- The leaves of the Yucca, New Mexico's state flower, can be used to make rope, baskets and sandals.
- The World Shovel Race Championships take place every winter at Angel Fire Resort.
- White Sands National Monument is a desert, not of sand, but of gleaming white gypsum crystals.
- In 1950 the little cub that became the National Fire Safety symbol, Smokey the Bear, was found trapped in a tree when his home in Lincoln National Forest was destroyed by fire.
- In Las Cruces, it is against the law to carry a lunch box down Main Street.
- In New Mexico, it is against the law to dance around a Sombrero.
- New Mexico has far more sheep and cattle than people. There are only about 12 people per square mile.
- New Mexico has two designated State Vegetables - Chile and frijoles. That being said, it comes as no surprise that New Mexico also has an officially designated State Question -- ---"Red or green?" (referring to chile preference.)
- New Mexico's history is filled with Wild West characters. Some who made their homes here, at least for a time, were Clay Allison, Buffalo Bill Cody, Black Jack Ketchum, Billy the Kid, Doc Holliday, and Pat Garrett.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Mandy in Photos
Here are the questions we answered( left to right, top row to bottom): 1) What is your first name, 2) What is your favorite food, 3) What high school did you go to, 4) What is your favorite color, 5) Who is your celebrity crush, 6) favorite drink, 7) dream vacation, 8) favorite dessert, 9) what do you want to be when you grow up, 10) what do you love most in life, 11) one word to describe yourself, and 12) your flickr name.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Saturday, June 7, 2008
Eli and I finally finished up our packing and cleaned the apartment out that we once called home. It's been quite the chore trying to get my classroom packed up and our place packed up; all while Eli has a hurt back and I have a bruised tailbone. It's a good thing that we had Lima to help though. We couldn't have done it without her!
Packing is such hard work!
The finished product. Yea!