Saturday, September 6, 2008

Any Man Can Be a Father

I said that a lot has been going on these past few weeks that I've been gone (teething puppies, trip to Vegas, moving apartments, etc.). I have a ton of pictures and stories that I'd like to share and I will, but I'd like to post about something, or rather someone, close to my heart.This is my dad, Jared (aka Papa Joe). To finish the quote from the title, "Any man can be a father; it takes someone special to be a dad." My dad is such an amazing man. He's done so much for me like build my appreciation for music, how to throw a baseball, ride a bike, drive, and to do my best in everything. He's supported me through school for so many years and has always encouraged me to be better.

Everything I've done in my life has been to make him and my mom proud of me. I haven't always been the best at that, but I try. I've always been able to call him and ask him advice for all sorts of stuff, like when the brakes on my miata were going out and I had no idea what was happening. I was on the freeway and I called him during one of his trips with Bryan and he was able to tell me exactly what was wrong and what I needed to do to fix it. I also remember when he would take me to the church parking lot to teach me how to drive a clutch. He had so much stinkin' patience!

I think almost everyone on our blog list has met my dad. Most people think he's pretty cool. I do too, which is why this has been kind of hard for me. A few weeks ago my dad had a seizure of some sort. My brothers found him and he couldn't talk. He was taken to the hospital where there were tests and things done. The doctors couldn't find anything wrong with him. He went home feeling a little better, with medication, and advice to not drive for 3 months.

He went back to the hospital about a week later to do an MRI. Just this last week we got the results. My dad has a brain tumor. He's going in for surgery this following Wednesday, September 10th. The doctors and other sources say that the tumor is slow-growing and that the surgery to be performed has very good odds of being very successful. It was a good thing that Dad had the seizure because it helped to detect the tumor early enough.

My dad is young and he is amazing. He's healthy and the surgery is going to go well. Still though, it would mean alot to me and Eli and the rest of our family if you could say a little prayer for my dad. I love you Papa Joe!

13 comments:

Shayla said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that about your dad! We will most definitely keep him in our prayers! I'm so sorry for your family though, don't you worry, you've got a lot of love, support, thoughts & prayers coming your way! XOXO

Delirious said...

Hi Mandy, I got this link from Jenn. Tell your Dad we will keep him in our prayers! Hope everything else is going well for you! Delores D.

Meg85242 said...

Hi Mandy, I know it's been awhile since you have seen any of us, the Gustafsons are now in AZ. We will keep your family in our prayers. Please keep us posted.


Much love and prayers,
Maryann, Dave, Daniel, Jessica & Keith Gustafson

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Jared, we will keep him in our prayers. Say Hi to everyone.
Love, Fran and Rick Graham

Aubrey said...

Mandy, I am so so sorry to hear this news. It breaks my heart. I will definitely keep your dad in my prayers. He is an amazing guy. Keep me posted on how his surgery goes. I hope YOU are doing OK with the stress. If you need a listening ear, or anything, let me know. I love ya!

Kelly said...

Mandy
I don't know how jen golden got my email, but I'm glad she did. I am so sorry to hear about your dad. We will be thinging and praying for your family. My brother in law had a tumor in his brain also. He is a doctor in St George and it was successful. He has been tumor free for 13 years. Give your parents are love.
Paul and Kelly Thompson

Anonymous said...

Mandy!
Growing up I always saw you as a big sister. Whether you were teaching me something at an activity or YW class or singing your guts out up at camp, you're so much fun. Your family is great. My very first time seeing snow fall was at your parents house in Utah. I had so much fun and your parents fed me and Amber and Jenn so well it was great. I have many memories hanging out with you at church and having fun. :] I will definitely be praying for your Dad. Take care and please no that me and my family love you guys and will be here for you and your family.

Mandi Ward said...

Hey Mandi
We heard about Jared from Tracy. We are all praying for him, we fasted for him Sunday.
Mandi

Erin said...

Mandy, I'm so sorry. This must be really hard to think about. But we will all be praying for him and for you and for your whole family. Please keep us updated as you can.

Brianne said...

I'm sure your dad will be fine, he's in our prayers as well. What a great guy he is. -Brianne

Anonymous said...

We're praying, too! Thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

Mandy, We all hope the surgery was successful and that your dad will recover quickly. Say hi to your mom for us. (Oh, and Jeff says Jacob is in one of his classes at BYU. That was fun for him to discover!)

Shayla said...

Mandy.. We too are praying for your dad, your mom, you and your whole family. We hope the surgery went well. Please let us know. Lots of love