Sunday, April 27, 2008

Our Story


Eli and I met in St. George, Utah at the end of summer 2006. July was the first meeting, the rest was history.

I had already been in St. George for a year. I moved here in August of 2005 to start teaching. Having moved here 2 days before I started working, I didn't have much opportunity to meet people. There was also one singles ward in my area that had 40 members, on a good day. Because I am a dedicated teacher, prep work and grades took precedence over singles ward activities. I didn't have much time for meeting people. That's when I joined LDSsingles.com. I didn't do much with the site. I was just looking for people to hang out with, but seeing that I didn't email people or do much with the site, I never made friends. I just had my wonderful co-workers. These facts will both be important later on in the story.

Eli moved to St. George in July of 2006. He ended up here by chance. Eli went to school at Utah State where he was studying spanish. He wanted to become a spanish teacher. During school he worked at Sam's Club up in Logan. Two things made him move from Logan, a) he had a terrible experience with a professor and b) Sam's offered him more money and a better position with their store in Provo. Being single and not really wanting to keep going to school he went. He then was moved and promoted to North Dakota then back to Logan.

Eli decided to take another shot at college and was looking to go to school at Southern Utah University in Cedar City. He came down here and looked for a job for the school year. He applied at Staples, they didn't have anything in Cedar, but offered him a management position in St. George. He took it.
Eli also joined LDSsingles because he was a ladies man and wanted to meet hot chicks. Alas, after many dates, he didn't find a good one. So he resorted to picking up on girls in Staples...wearing his snazzy grey maager's shirt. One day in July I went with a coworker of mine to pick up some school supplies. I was wearing my way cool Mickey Mouse Pirates of the Caribbean ears that a friend picked up for me. Cynthia was embarrased, but as I walked through the check out line, this guy (who two months later I realized was Eli) encouraged me to wear the ears. I appreciated his support, put the ears on, and invited him to Disneyland one day. He said, "Sure. I'm down," and let me walk out the door, out of his life.
As the month went on, I recieved an email saying that I had a "flirt" waiting for me at LDSsingles. I was curious. I checked. It was Eli, but again, I didn't realize it was him. I wasn't too interested after reading his profile. I moved on. By the way, Eli will still deny sending that "flirt."
In the middle of August, Staples hosts a Teacher Appreciation Night. They give free bags and supplies to teachers. It's a pretty sweet deal. So I went one night after dinner with about 8 other singles teachers from work. We went in and immediately I saw this guy who looked way familiar. I then recognized him as the guy who sent me a "flirt" on LDSsingles. It was Eli and he completely ignored me. Later that night I found another email saying I had recieved a message from someone on the singles site. It was from Eli, but I wasn't a paying member, so I couldn't read his message.
I resorted to stalker-like technique and miraculously found him on MySpace. We got in contact, emailed and texted for a week or so. We finally agreed to go out for dinner. I actually had plans with someone who I was involved with, but that fell through. I was planning on cutting ties with this other guy, but he did it for me. I called Eli, told him plans changed, and I would love to go out with him that night. We went to Cracker Barrel, played a round of mini-golf, picked up ice cream at Mickey D's, and went back to his place to watch a movie (What Women Want, his choice).
Either way, I know it's a long, complicated story, but since then we've decided that we were supposed to be together. We've figured out many different situations where we could've met (even in Vegas a couple years back). It's been an amazing 20 months. We're looking forward to eternity.

1 comment:

a caprichosa said...

Hey Mandy!

I have tried to find you in various places on the internet, but never have, until finally Jen Golden sent me the link to your blog. I am so happy for you! Congratulations!

Danielle (Hurd)

P.S. Still in Provo...but I graduate in the spring! yeah! I am at daniellejeannegmail.com