Monday, March 12, 2012

One Sick Chubba Lubba


Eli and I just got back from Las Vegas yesterday (WAC basketball tournament, another post later). We were so excited to see Lucia, but when we got home she wasn't her usual chipper self. My mom informed us that her cough came back and it was deeper than before. She suggested that we take Luci to the Instacare, just to be sure all was okay with her.

When we got to the Instacare, the nurse hooked her up to a saturation monitor. I guess it checks how much oxygen she's getting. Her level was 87%. Most levels should be in the 90s. They immediately sent us over to the ER where they checked the same stuff. They also took chest x-rays and suctioned out her boogers.

To make a long story short, I am now sitting in the hospital on the pediatrics level while my baby sleeps hooked up to an oxygen machine, an IV drip, and a saturation monitor. She's been diagnosed with RSV which has also lead to pneumonia with hypoxia. The doctors here have been so great with her. They check her vitals, suction her nose, and give her breathing treatments to open her airways.

There is nothing worse than watching your child suffer and not being able to do anything about it. It hurts my heart to watch her have a coughing fit. It is so hard to watch the nurse push a catheter down Luci's nose while she gags. I could barely watch while they stuck an IV in her little pudgy arm. But I am grateful for the power of prayer. I am grateful for worthy priesthood holders who were able to give Luci a blessing of healing. I have no doubt in my mind that it was through prayer and blessings that Lucia was able to have a restful night of sleep without any major coughing fits. I am so grateful for a Heavenly Father that hears and answers prayers.

One more thing - my baby girl is still adorable, even in a hospital gown.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Poor baby! I hate it when they are sick! We had a bout with RSV last summer. NOT FUN! I am also really grateful for a worthy priesthood holder. I'll keep you and baby girl in my prayers, Miss Mandy!