Monday, April 11, 2011

Recover Restart Japan Benefit Concert

I don't know how many of you know, but I have family in Japan. My uncle served a mission for the LDS Church in Japan back in the day, ended up moving back after college and getting married, and raised his six kids there. Since then, three of his kids also served missions for the Church there in Tokyo and Sendai. I currently have one cousin who lives in Tokyo with his wife and two kids.

My cousin L was working in Tokyo when the earthquake hit. He said that while looking out the window of his office, he could literally see the building next to his swaying. His wife (who was pregnant) was at home with A. With all of the constant aftershocks that were going on, phones and transportation were down, and L ended up walking home in 3 hours.

A few days later, with aftershocks still hitting and after the devastation caused by the tsunami, L decided to fly B and A back to the states. B was having major contractions and baby C was majorly stressing in the womb. Not only that, there was no food or water. I talked with B when they got here to Utah and she was in tears going grocery shopping and seeing the full shelves here. The baby calmed down and she came a few days after their arrival. They now have a beautiful baby girl.

After growing up in Japan and having tons of friends there, my other cousin, David, decided to put on a benefit concert with his amazingly talented band and other equally talented people. Eli and I went last night and it was awesome! All of the donations made are going straight to Civic Force in Japan and it will directly be used to help over there. I just wanted to show some highlights and share their talents and if you feel so inclined to help Japan out a little bit, David is still accepting donations at Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief.

You can also check out my cousins band. They're pretty good and play a TON of local shows. You can check out the other guys too. Not too shabby.Blind Actuaries (my cousin is the guy in the back)
Fun fact: The 3 white guys grew up in Japan and attended ASIJ together. The Asian did not.

No comments: