Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Festival of Colors


Now that school is coming to an end, I have a little more time to post some of these pictures that I've had stored in my camera for a little while. These are some of my favorites from The Festival of Colors.

In Spanish Fork there is a huge temple known as The Lotus Temple. Every year the Krishnas celebrate spring with the Holi Festival. There's lots of music, lots of food, and most of all LOTS of color! At certain times during the festival a big crowd gathers and everyone who has colored powder throws it into the air to celebrate all the brightness and alive things of spring.

They also have a huge bonfire where they burn the likeness of the demon Holika. It's a really interesting story with a hero and everything that can be read at UtahKrishnas.org.

To say the least, it was a fun experience. It was messy, loud, and there were tons of friendly people. I kind of imagine Woodstock being similar, but maybe not. Eli and I took Miranda and her friend. It's fun to be able to participate in and learn about other peoples cultures. If you ever get the chance to go, you should go at least once.

No comments: