Saturday, February 27, 2010

Maybe You Could Tell Me What to Ask You

I'm sitting in a comprehension strategies class right now and I've heard some interesting things that I want to share. We just read a little piece from a book called Mosaic of Thought: The Power of Comprehension Strategy Instruction by Ellin Oliver Keene and Suzanne Zimmerman. This is what I wanted to share:

"Children are natural questioners. It is how they work to make sense of the complex world around them. They want to know the "why" for everything. They are, by nature, curious. And we do them a great disservice if we ignore, belittle, or disregard their questions. We do them an even greater disservice if through our educational process we extinguish their need to question."

I feel that as a teacher, I need to have all of the answers... but, I don't. I want to be able to let my students ask their questions. I want them to ask good questions and be curious about the world around them. I don't want to tell them what questions they need to ask. I want to help encourage their curiosities. I want them to discover.

As an adult, I want to understand the world around me. When, where and why did I loose my desire to ask questions? I want to ask questions...

2 comments:

Heather said...

I am 27 years old and ALWAYS asking questions, lol. I love it and encourage everyone to. Some of my questions are to my boyfriend, about various things, because I see him most, but I've found that Google is my best teacher. Any time I say "I wonder why...,etc." I just right online and find my answer! I have learned so much doing this. It saddened me to hear that you have lost your desire!! Don't ever stop asking! I used to be a Corporate Trainer, the one who had all the answers, so I can relate to your teaching position, but the only reason I had all the answers, is my desire to keep asking the questions. Good Luck!

Unknown said...

So then this begs the question: "What is the best response to the endless questions you don't have answers to? Is it a simple, 'I don't know' or an encouraging, 'That's a good question; Let's find out together'?"
p.s. I am serious about my comment! This post as piqued my interest! :)