Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Music is What Feelings Sound Like"

Anyone who knows me or Eli know that we both have a HUGE passion for music. I heard someone say that "music is what feelings sound like." I could not have thought of a better way to put it. Music can truly do anything. It can make you relive every second of a past memory. It can make you feel happy and excited. It can make you feel sad and lonely. It can make you feel warmth and love. It can motivate you or relax you. I believe that music is something that can speak to anyone, anywhere.

The reason I say all this is because I was listening to one of my favorite musicians, Andy Mckee. He is phenomenal. He is one of those people that makes you feel all of those emotions I described above. Not only does Andy's (because we're on a first name basis now) music sound amazing, but watching him is an incredible experience. I'm going to post a couple of his videos here, but you can find him all over youtube, myspace, and get his music here. Just watch.

Drifiting


Africa - Toto (This should sound familiar)


Rylynn (This is my favorite)


Another thing that I have always loved is the drums. There is something about the drums that is fascinating. I've always loved drumlines. I've done searches and watched drumlines perform on the internet. One group I came across is called KAOTIC. They're pretty good and they have a good story. You know me, I'm always up for a good story that involves helping kids. Here is a show they did at a Bulls-Kings game a couple of years ago.



Some of you may have heard of the djembe drum. It is an african drum that is made by a skin streched over a gauntlet-shaped drum. It's played with your bare hands. It kind of reminds me of the conga drum, but not. Eli has used the djembe in some of his music. I love the sound of it. There is a movie called "The Vistor" that features the djembe. The sound kind of brings back a tribal, primal feel. Anyway, watch again. This is the Duke University Dejembe Ensemble. So much fun!

1 comment:

Jafar said...

Hey Eli, you may be interested in my site djembefola.com