Friday, April 16, 2010

Wrinkles

I was sitting down in a temple session yesterday when I observed something so very interesting. The elderly woman sitting in front of me had the most defined wrinkles I have ever seen on anyone! I’ve never really sought after someone’s wrinkles before. I just happened to notice. The wrinkles made a deep criss-cross pattern across the back of her neck. Because I am currently going over geometry with my students, they crossed to form a perfect looking rhombus. As she moved her head around the wrinkles undulated with such familiarity. I was entranced. I could not look away.

As I became familiar with this woman’s wrinkles, I began thinking. I wondered what this woman’s story was. How old was she? What types of things has she experienced? Was she married? Was her husband still alive? Was she content with the journey her life has taken her on? Is she where she expected she would be? I know those are a lot of questions to ask from a few wrinkles, but it kept me thinking.

I saw a few more ladies that day. One looked like she had carried a quite a load on her shoulders and she was slightly stooped from the weight, but there she was with a light in her eye and a dazzling smile. I just wanted to run up and hug her. Another woman walked around with her lips pressed in a tight line, worry wrinkles plain on her face. I wondered what she was going through.

It made me wonder what stories my wrinkles will tell when I’m older. I’ve been thinking about the different pathways my life has offered. So much has happened in a relatively short amount of time. There have been so many twists and turns; my life could have easily ended up in a completely different place. If I would have chosen door 1 or door 4, my life could be the complete opposite of what it is now.

I’ve had my heartbroken a couple of times; that’s just another storyline of life on my face. I’ve lived through struggles and trials. Those events that have been etched and worn into my life made me who I am and they help me feel more. I don’t think I could love and appreciate Eli as much as I do now without those other events. I’m not saying that I couldn’t love Eli without those other things happening and I wouldn’t volunteer to go through all of it again, but I’m thankful for all the learning.

I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be in life and I’m happy with my place. I have an amazing husband who I love more than anything. I am so lucky to have my best friend by my side when I lay down at night. My day starts in the best way possible because he is by my side in the morning. He lets me listen to bad 80s music. He lets me color in my coloring book. He lets me sing at the top of my lungs and dance and doesn’t laugh at me too much when I want to watch Saturday morning cartoons. I have 3 fantastic, four-legged family members (I wish they were two-legged, but in time) that greet me when I walk in the door every day. I have a job that I love. I have a home. I live close to family. Of course there are other things that I want, but I don’t need anymore than I have.

I hope that when I become “elderly” that I have beautiful wrinkles that show I’ve lived a wonderful life.

No comments: