Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Being One with Nature

About a week and a half ago Eli and I decided to pack up and head out. We took the puppies up to Maple Grove to do a little camping. I have been trying to get Eli to go camping for like 2 years and we got all this great camping equipment for our wedding that we haven't used yet, so it was a perfect time.

We headed up Friday late afternoon and set up camp. Maple Grove isn't too far from Scipio, so E's parents came up and met us for dinner. I've never dutch ovened anything, so I thought my pizza and peach cobbler came out fabulous! After s'mores and a little visiting, we decided to turn in for the night. We got all nice and snug in our sleeping bags when we were serenaded by the mariachi music coming from the camp across the way. Amazing. It's also a good thing we put the shade up on the tent because it poured a good part of the night!

Saturday morning we were up bright and early with Lima and Chorizo. We made sausage and eggs and blueberry oranges for breakfast and then rounded up our stuff together to go fishing. We went down to "Bart's hole" where E lucked out and caught a decent sized trout. Lima was pretty excited about that thing flopping around in the air. We moved down the creek a little and I caught a deformed fish. Someone had caught it before, cut off the fins, and threw it back. Sad. Lima had a ton of fun swimming and splashing. We blame her for us not catching too many. After fishing it started raining again, so I spent a little time reading while Eli napped.

After the storm cleared up we had a quick lunch of fish (yuck!) and hot dogs and then went for a short hike (I had just rolled my ankle a few days before, so we took it easy) up near the mountain. We saw a few animals, including a deer, which we're pretty sure Chorizo is a distant relative of. Our camp was also invaded by wild turkeys. It started raining again, so we headed back to camp. We then made foil dinners and ate s'mores like there was no tomorrow. Delish!

We headed home Sunday. I love camping. It's just nice to be out in nature where you have zero time schedule and you can just take your time and really enjoy what the Lord gave us. It was wonderful spending time with Eli away from the stresses of life. I think we're going again in a few weekends, if anyone wants to join!

6 comments:

Melissa Hruban said...

We should all go when Jason and I get back into town! And what the heck are blueberry oranges? weird.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have a blog at www.picturecamping.com where I feature people's posts about camping, and I would like to send my readers your way. Of course I would give you credit for quotes and would link back to your site.

Thanks for considering this,

Jean B. in SC

PS: I'd like to know what blueberry oranges are, too!

Eli & Mandy said...

Richard,

No problem at all, as long as we get a link back to our site that would be great.

Would you like us to put a link for you on our site? If so, to what webpage and with what anchor text?

We would like the anchor text "outdoor camping" if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks and good luck with your blogging.

Eli & Mandy said...

PS blueberry oranges are when you make up a blueberry muffin mix and put it into a hollowed out orange, wrap it in foil and toss it in the fire.

They are so good.

Shayla said...

Sounds SO fun!! Do it as much as you can before you have kiddos... wish it was easier for us to pick up and just go!
Glad that everything is going so great! xoxo

Unknown said...

Camping is awesome! Sounds like so much fun!